A fire destroyed part of a historical building connected to Route 66 early Thursday morning on Main Street.
At the time of the blaze the building was unoccupied and no injuries were reported.
Firefighters were called to a structure fire at on the 100 block of East Main Street at about 1:11 a.m.
Barstow Fire Protection Chief Darrell Jauss said the fire started in the attic of the building of what used to be El Rancho Restaurant — currently Cedar Restaurant and Travel Store.
About 20 Barstow Fire Department firefighters arrived at the scene at 1:15 a.m.
According to Jauss, firefighters received help from the Marine Corps Logistics Base Fire Department and from the Barstow Police but by the time firefighters arrived the fire was very big and had consumed most of the building.
“We were able to stop the fire but by the time we did the roof collapsed in,” Jauss said. “We are concerned that the main wall might collapse also.”
The fire was contained in two hours and was completely put out in four hours.
“We wanted to make sure that it wouldn’t spread further to the neighboring business,” Jauss said.
Firefighters are currently trying to stop smaller pockets of smoke that are smoldering in the building.
There is no estimate of the amount of damage on the structure yet.
By FIORELLA CASELLA, Desert Dispatch